In the past three since I did the Routeburn Track, my first multi-day walk (known as a tramp in New Zealand), I’ve done 17 (Tongariro Northern Circuit twice), including all of the Great Walks. I’ve walked 855km, over 48 days, spending the night in 32 huts. They’ve all been worthwhile and good experiences, but clearly some were better than others. Below is how I would rank them, click on the track name for full details.
1. Routeburn Track, December 20132. Tongariro Round the Mountain, April 20153. Travers-Sabine Circuit, Angelus Hut and Blue Lake detour, March 2016
4. Hump Ridge Track, December 2016
6. Tongariro Northern Circuit, April 2014 and January 2015
9. Breast Hill and Timaru River Tracks, December 2016
10. Heaphy Track, December 201411. Abel Tasman Coastal Track, January 2015 12. Lake Waikaremoana Track, April 2016 13. Greenstone Caples Track, June 201614. Rakiura Track, September 201415. Aotea Track, Great Barrier Island, November 201516. Abel Tasman Inland Track, December 2015