Ham House, London

Originally built in 1610 and significantly expanded in 1673, Ham House is a rare example of a near untouched 17th century house. It stayed in the same family for 250 years before being donated to the National Trust in 1948.

DSC05838From the front of the house the expansion is obvious but retains a similar style and brickwork. The back of the house facing the garden is far more consistent in style and relatively subdued compared to many country homes.

DSC05837 DSC05817 DSC05794 DSC05772 DSC05762The entrance hall was the great hall of the original house, love the black and white flooring.

DSC05842 DSC05850The rest of the house was suitably rich in decoration and 17th century luxury.

DSC05863 DSC05861 DSC05854 DSC05858Upstairs are the Queen’s Rooms, a suite of three rooms built expressively for when the queen came to visit, a sign of the importance of the family.

DSC05866 DSC05867 DSC05870Downstairs were the usual kitchens, storage rooms and a rather striking bathroom.

DSC05824 DSC05832The gardens were an interesting mixture of super formal bedding, a vegetable garden, expansive lawns, and the aptly named wilds.

DSC05847 DSC05792 DSC05791 DSC05788 DSC05783 DSC05753 DSC05770

Author: jontycrane

1 thought on “Ham House, London

Leave a Reply