Gunn’s Camp began in 1938 as Public Works Department camp to accommodate married men (unsure where the unmarried stayed) who worked on the Hollyford-Okuru Road. 8km up Hollyford Road off Milford Road it’s worth the detour to take in the history and some quirky humour.
Murray Gunn ran it for 51 years, and is remembered with an appropriate plaque.
Originally there were 25 cabins on the site, fewer remain, but they’d make a great place to relax for a few days, or use as a base before doing some of the walks in the area such as the Routeburn or Hollyford Tracks.
Behind the reception / shop is Hollyford Camp Museum, filled with visitor books and various random objects.